Monday, November 06, 2006

Boogie Board Boy


So I've been on the west coast for several months now, and I work with a guy that is addicted to surfing. I figured since I have an addictive personality, and foam at the mouth when I can't take a ski trip during the winter, that I would be a prime candidate for extreme water sports. I definitely want to tackle surfing, but I decided to break myself into the arena by trying boogie boarding first.

I started by getting the tools of the trade; wetsuit, boogie board, and fins. One thing I have learned is, if you look like you know what you're doing, people assume you are good. So if nothing else, I could walk down the beach and look like a pro.

Malibu beach was the spot I chose for my first boogie board experience. My surfer friend had warned me of the crowds, but I didn't have the time to drive to another beach on Saturday. The place was a surfing zoo for sure. I paddled out to the surf and waded on top of my board, constantly worrying I would get in an unruly surfer's way. I had my family with me and the last thing I wanted was to get my butt kicked in front of them.

I decided to stay out of the way for the most part, watch them scan the water for the right wave, and how they attacked the wave when it arrived. It was fun to be in the water and eventually I attacked a couple of waves. I didn't kick in very well and didn't do much riding, but it was fun all the same. We had a packed schedule, so I had to cut my boogie boarding short. I can imagine that when I have more time to spend in the surf, that I will enjoy the thrill of riding the waves even more.

It is humbling to be in an ocean. It pushes you around like a pebble, and you realize the scale, power, and immensity of the water. God has created an amazing place for us to enjoy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That pic really looks alot like you. What craziness!

As for crowded beaches...I think its smart to give sharks choices rather than to be the ONLY one.

Carolanne said...

It is humbling to be in an ocean. It pushes you around like a pebble, and you realize the scale, power, and immensity of the water. God has created an amazing place for us to enjoy.
That's one of the reasons I love going to the beach!